|The Googleplex. Original image from Wikipedia.|
By Megan G.
“The kind of environment that we developed Google in, the reason that we were able to develop a search engine, is the web was so open. Once you get too many rules, that will stifle innovation.” – Sergey Brin
Sergey Brin is one of the two original founders of Google. The other is Larry Page, whose words were featured in Tek Shouts! Quote of the Month in May.
In this month’s quote, Sergey highlights one of the magical things about our favorite tech giant—its open work environment that is absolutely riddled with employee benefits. More than 2 million people apply each year to Google for a chance to become a happy, little cog in the internet company.
What exactly makes their campus such an exciting place?
Here are five of the most interesting perks that come with being a Google employee. Its great work if you can get it—and you can get it if you have these qualifications.
- The 80/20 rule—and we’re not talking about the perfect hamburger. Google employees can devote 20% of their work time on outside projects that, while ultimately benefiting Google, are more tailored to employee interests and passions. This “rule” has given employees time to nurture personal endeavors and create now widely used products such as Google News, Gmail, and AdSense.
- Man’s best friend is welcome, making for a less stressed work day. According to a Business Insider report, Google employees can bring their dogs to work! They play fetch with their pups on breaks and connect with new colleagues thanks to their furry friends’ amiable nature and undoubtedly adorable grin.
- Innovation won’t crumble from rumbling tummy. Free gourmet food and snacks are available to all Googlers and communal eating areas provide a comfortable space for colleagues to chat. The campus has cafes, juice bars, and other places where employees can find healthy meals.
- A Team-Building Tool Straight from a Dr. Seuss Book. Ever heard of a Google ConferenceBike? As you can see from their website, a CoBi-7 is a rather odd machine meant “to bring people together”—seven people, to be exact. That’s right, it’s a seven-seat bike used as a conversation-friendly transportation device on the Google campus.
- Thank Goodness it’s Friday! I can finally ask Sergey why he has the coolest profile photo out of the entire Google management team. One of the most refreshing aspects of Google culture is their transparency. Every week, the campus has all-hands “TGIF” meetings where Googlers can ask Larry Page, Sergey Brin, and other executives any company-related questions.
|The Google ConferenceBike. Christmas List 2015? Original image from PCMag.com|
Google encourages interactions in their cafes, offices, through email—their Mountain View campus is specially designed to host open and constant “information sharing” among employees from every department. It seems to be a truly amazing environment for technology and careers to grow!
These are only a few of Google’s benefits—which ones have you heard of? Let the Tek Team know in the comments! We’d love to hear from our readers.